Friday, April 22, 2011

The Cave (and a short rant with a happy Easter ending)

Darkness fills the room,
Like death in the tomb.
Ignorance and despair
Laying my soul bare
A prison for mind,
 Truth is a crime,
A dungeon for my reason,
Enlightenment is treason.

Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins was right when he said, "Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage." People around me tell me what to do and think about so many things without asking why I do these things. Questions are more powerful than imperative statements. Just a thought, if I'm allowed...

Instead of working together to formulate opinions about the world around us, websites and news outlets that claim to be "fair and balanced" really just pick a side and stick to that part of a story. One must have some kind of foundation of  truth, but that should not stop them from reading about the "other side." I'm a Christian, but I also read books, watch films, and listen to music by Jews, agnostics, Marxists, and even worshipers of the Roman snake god Glycon.

Many Christians disparage postmodernism. True, postmodernism rejects objective truth and with it all religious dogma. However, postmodernism widened the rigid narrow canon that used to only consist of books written by dead white Anglo-Saxon Protestants. But with the advent of postmodernism and the "hermeneutics of suspicion", books by women, minorities, and persons who went against the grain of their culture can be included in the ranks of great writers. Also, postmodernism isn't snobbish and doesn't try to find an objective idea of a "great book", which a centuries old debate. It gets half the story right: the human race is desperately flawed and cannot be "cured" by cured by modern science and technology.

But it's missing one thing: a Savior.

"And as the women were terrified and bowed their faces to the ground, the men said to them, "Why do you seek the living One among the dead? He is not here, but he has risen. Remember how he spoke to you while he was still in Galilee, saying that the Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again." Luke 24:5-7 (NASB)

4 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks what did you think of my post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He certainly is risen.
    Myself...I mostly read the Bible.
    I write and maintain a spiritual blog which I have titled “AccordingtotheBook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take a look at it. Cool, the Bible is the best book anyone could read.

    ReplyDelete